Today every social media platform has its own uniqueness. People use different profiles in different ways suited to their needs. There is always these question that pops up once every while as to whether you are using it the right way, have you optimised it right? Is your network growing?
To answer most of these questions you need to ask yourself the most fundamental question in social media. Why have I created this profile? Is it to promote your brand, to promote yourself or for purely networking purposes. Once you answer this question for yourself, things start falling into place.
This article is designed to give you a template of sorts on how to maximise your value on each social media platform.Over the past couple of years, I have tried certain ways to improve my reach on these platforms. Some of them have worked some haven’t, but, in the end, I have found a way to optimise each profile so that it maximises value and by value I mean impact on social media.
- Your primary goal should be to make it a professional profile.
- Work on your short summary & make it appealing.
- Be genuine.
- list your certifications and achievements.
These are the basic things you need to do. After that comes the hard part. Why are you on LinkedIn?. If your answer lies in any of the questions that I have mentioned above then do the following.
- Join communities which talk about your areas of interest.
- Comment on posts with your views.
- Always pick a side. No point in being neutral.
- Be active.
- Share, share & share.
- Publish posts on LinkedIn. Great way to get your thoughts out there.
- Use tools like Klout & Socialmention to find influencers & keywords.
- Follow them on twitter.
- Go through all of their posts.
- Find the ones that you find useful, reshare and comment on them. Tell them why it was useful and how you plan to implement it.
- Over a period of time your organic followers will grow and for every tweet, you will get a lot more impressions than before.
- You can share a lot of personal stuff here.
- Add a slight touch of professionalism to your page.
- Do join groups and like pages that you want to follow.
- You will get a lot of information here which you could share on other sites.
- You have very different communities here when compared to the above-mentioned platforms.
- Go through each of them. Most of them are passion communities.
The common rule to follow is if you want to share something please ensure that it has an image along with it. I cannot stress how important that is to get the maximum number of impressions.
If you are able to find groups with similar interests on all the platforms then you are all set to go. You could share the same post on all the platforms at once. This would need a little bit of research from your side. I will not talk about the remaining platforms as most of us, in a day look at the above-mentioned sites. When I say most I mean Job seekers, networkers, bloggers, etc.
One last thing that I would suggest is that if you really want an audience, I would suggest that you start a blog. I personally recommend WordPress as I have been using it for quite some time. Why is this important?
- You can write whatever you want.
- It will be made available on WordPress reader.
- Once you write a post you have the option to share it across all the platforms.
Key rule: Find groups with similar interests on all the platforms. This will help you maximise your reach on social media platforms.